Special Seminar on “Effective Use of Tunneling and Underground Space for Sustainable Development”. The event was held on 25th March 2017 in Yangon, Myanmar.
The seminar started with opening speech by MES President Mr. Aung Myint followed by a welcome speech by ITA President, Professor Tarcisio B. Celestino. Mr. Zaw Zaw Aye presented a Keynote address on “An Overview of Effective Use of Tunnels and Underground Space for Sustainable Development”
In this seminar, ten technical lectures were delivered by ITA Executive Council Members and specially invited Speakers who are world-renowned specialists in tunnelling and underground space industry. The various Speakers, each being the expert in their respective field presented the following lectures: -
Session 1 - Tunnels and Underground Space in Hydropower Projects
1. Professor Tarcisio B. Celestino - Optimization Underground Power House Design at Paulo Afonso IV, Brazil
2. Dr Noppadol Phienwej – Experiences in Tunnelling in Hydropopwer Projects in Thailand and Neighbouring Countries
3. Mr. Alexandre Gomes – Design and Construction of Large Caverns and Tunnels for the Ulu Jelai Hydroelectric Project, Malaysia.
Session 2 - Effective Use of Tunnelling and Underground Space in Urban Area
1. Mr. Soren Degn, Eskesen – Benefits in the Use of the Underground Space
2. Mr. Eric Leca – Tunnelling Induced Ground Settlement
3. Professor Tarcisio B. Celestino – Urban and Geotechnical Constraints for Metro Stations
Session 3 -Road and Rail Tunnels
1. Professor Jinxiu Yan – Design and Construction of Long Railway Tunnels in China
2. Dr. Davorin Kolic – New Railway Line Divaca, Koper, Slovenia
3. Mr. Pekka A Nieminen – Modern Drilling and Blasting Pattern Design for Underground Rock Excavation
4. Mr. Giuseppe Lunardi – Construction of Two Tunnels in Difficult Stress Strain Condition, Results of Real Comparison between NATM and ADECORS
In conjunction with the seminar, the ITA Executive Council held its Meetings in Yangon on 26th and 27th March 2017 respectively.