This year, the 6th edition of the ITA Tunnelling Awards has been transformed into a digital event to maintain the link with the Tunnelling family in these troubled times.
The event took place on the 3rd and 4th December 2020 with an exciting programme where atttendees could attend the presentations of the finalists, the announcement of the winners and meet our sponsors at their stand in the exhibition hall.
This virtual edition this year allowed to gather more than 700 attendees during the first 2 days and revealed that even through digital, tunnelling industry is still powerful. The event has been extended until December 18th to allow visitors to see and review the entire programme.
The 2020 ITA Tunnelling Awards winners:
• Major Project of the Year (over €500M) - John Holland CPB Ghella Joint-Venture Tunnelling and Station Excavation Works for the Sydney Metro City & Southwest Project – Australia
• Project of the Year (between €50M and €500M) - Chinatown Station of the Central Subway Program – USA
• *2 winners* Project of the Year incl. Renovation (up to €50M) - FEDRO’s Tunnel Renovation Method – renovation of a non-reinforced primary lining using night shifts while keeping all traffic lanes open during the day - Switzerland - Lower Otta Hydropower Project – Norway
• Technical Innovation of the Year - An Innovative Automated Geological Forward-prospecting Technique Mounted on Hard-rock TBM - China
• Overcoming the challenges - Chengdu-Guiyang High-speed Railway—Yujingshan Mountain Tunnel Crossing Giant Karst Cave and Underground River - China
• Oddities of the Underground – Tunnelling in the service of archeology - Israel
• Innovative and Contributing Underground Spaces - Union Square Market Street Station - Battered Drilled Shafts as Permanent Ground Support – USA
• Young Tunneller of the Year – Josh Barry - Australia
To access the videos of all proceedings, go to https://awards.ita-aites.org/