This year again, the 8th edition of the ITA Tunnelling Awards was held as a digital event.
The event took place on the 6th to 8th December 2022 with an exciting programme where atttendees could attend the presentations of the finalists, the announcement of the winners and meet our sponsors at their stand in the exhibition hall.
This virtual edition this year allowed to gather hundreds attendees during these 3 days and revealed that even through digital, tunnelling industry is still powerful. The event has been extended until January 2023 to allow visitors to see and review the entire programme.
Arnold Dix, President of the ITA, praised the quality of the award-winning projects, underlining that “The Tunnelling Awards is a celebration of the great milestones and the great innovations achieved. It also highlights the contributions made to our planet and people. This year, 70 nominations from almost 20 countries have been considered by a panel of independently select judges. The ceremony today rewards the best in our industry, from the largest projects on earth right through to the latest innovations and productions. These amazing achievements can be enjoyed today”.
The 2022 ITA Tunnelling Awards winners:
• Major Project of the Year (over €500M) - Purple Line Extension, Section 1 - United States of America
• Project of the Year (between €50M and €500M) - World’s first spiral excavation using H&V Shield Tunneling Method - Japan
• Project of the Year incl. Renovation (up to €50M) - Guanyinyan Tunnel: an urban tunnel project of the unequal span four-arch tunnel with two-way and ten-lane - China
• Technical Innovation of the Year - Unprecedented In-Tunnel Diameter Conversion of the Largest Hard Rock TBM in the U.S. - United States of America
• Beyond Engineering - Multi-pipe jacking method for the construction of city-core metro station in soft soil stratum - China
• Product/Equipment Innovation of the Year - Integration of Robotics into the construction works of the Chuquicamata underground mining site - Chile
• Innovative Underground Space Use - V-column Space of Shenzhen Huangmugang Transportation Hub - China
• Young Tunneller of the Year - Erica Frederickson - United States of America
Congratulations to all winners!
You can now watch all the finalists' presentation on our website: Proceedings - ITA Tunnelling Awards 2022 (ita-aites.org)
Pleas note that the next ITA awards will take place physically. Date and place will be announced in the coming months.