The "On-line Certificate in Tunneling" is an ITA-endorsed post graduate course that is delivered completely through the internet with a final face-to-face assessment. International professionals interested in deepening their tunneling knowledge may follow the programme at their own pace and can have access to lectures and course content at anytime from anywhere in the world. The On-line Certificate in Tunneling consists of 11 tightly interconnected modules:
- General Tunneling Aspects,
- Engineering Geology (stresses, strains, and anisotropy),
- Engineering Rock Mechanics,
- Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Investigations Using Rock and Soil Mechanics,
- Analytical and Numerical Methods for Diagnosis Phase; Primary Confinement for the Therapy Phase,
- Type A tunnels: Analytical Methods of Analysis and Design,
- Type A tunnels: Excavation in Rock,
- Preconfinement for Type B and C Tunnels; Final Lining and Waterproofing,
- Mechanized Tunneling with Face Control for Type B and C Tunnels,
- Monitoring, Surveying and Safety,
- Risk Assessment and Management.
Each Module is composed of lectures and assignments by the Programme Director that form the backbone of the Certificate and ensure continuity throughout the programme, reviews by industry leaders and in-depth seminars with case-histories by industry leaders. Formerly housed at the University of Texas at Austin, the Certificate is now offered through the University of Colorado Boulder, USA: www.colorado.edu/tunneling.
The new fee structure allows students to cancel after the first or the second module, and payment can be made module by module.