- Animateur: Donald Lamont (UK)
- Vice-Animateur: Martin Vogel (Switzerland)
- Tutor: Ivan Hrdina (Czech Republic)
- Report presented by Donald Lamont.
Other countries represented : Australia, Austria, Germany, Sweden, USA.
WG5 met once in Bangkok.
Major work item was drafting our next report - “Guidelines for the provision of refuge chambers in tunnels under construction”.
- No existing comprehensive guidance on the topic
- Chambers are required by EN 12336, the DACH guidance and BS 6164
- Commonly used in mining
- Becomingly increasingly common on tunnelling projects
- If used incorrectly could result in fatalities
Future work programme
- Complete refuge guidelines by WTC 2013
- Continue with our guidance on shaft safety
- Consider guidance on asbestos in tunnelling
- Possible additional meeting in Europe in Autumn 2012
No request for funding at present.