Animator: Heinz Ehrbar (Switzerland),
Vice-Animator: Robert Galler (Austria),
Tutor: Alexandre Gomes (Chile)
Report presented by Heinz Ehrbar:
On Sunday the group held its meeting with the participation of 14 delegates from nine nations. On Monday the group held a joint meeting with WG 14 “Mechanization of excavation”, intended by 13 delegates from 7 nations.
Goals of the meeting 2014
Overview on the status of our work
Discussion of the “Recommendations on the selection of tunnel excavation methods” in cooperation with WG 14
Organisation of the future activities of WG 19
“Guidelines on the selection of excavation methods” (Vs 2a)
Table of Contents:
1 Introduction and Summary Page
2 Intended Use of this Guideline
3 Project Requirements
4 Responsibilities for Decisions
5 Characteristics of the Tunnelling Methods
6 Recommended Analysis of the Decision Making Criteria
8 References and Additional Readings
Result of the discussion within WG 19 (Sunday’s meeting)
1. The recommendations should be addressed to Owner’s organisationsnot very familiar with tunnelling and to consultants.
2. The report should rather show the complexity of the processthan indicating simple solutions („no cooking book“).
3. The report should highlight the high importance of the decisionsmade by the Owner or the Consultants in the early project phases. The Owner has to become aware of his high responsibility in this phase.
4. The draft has to be redesigned.
5. The report is importantand has to be of highest quality.
Project development phases[Table to be included]
The report has to analyze the most important project requirements to be considered during the project development and has to give specific recommendations how to deal with in the different phases:
1. Requirements from the ground conditions
2. Costs and Financing
3. Time Schedule
4. Quality / Functionality
5. Work Safety
6. Environmental Aspects
7. Public Acceptance
8. Market Conditions
10. Processes (design, legal processes)
11. Logistics (accessibility, energy supply, water supply)
[Table to insert]
Adapted table contents
2.1 Intended use of the recommendations
2.2 Description of the project development process
2.3 Description of the main project requirements
3. Owner’s Tasks during the Project Development Phases
3.1 Tasks of the project definition phase
3.2 Tasks of the design phase
3.3 Tasks during the preparation of the construction
3.4 Tasks during the construction
[Table to insert]