Founded in 1974 by the initiative of nineteen Nations, the International Tunnelling and Underground Space Association (ITA) mission is to lead, advocate and facilitate the development of sustainable and innovative solutions for increased, optimised, safe and equitable use of Underground Space, enabling the tunnelling industry and its stakeholders to excel in delivering:
- Technical knowledge in the field of tunnelling and underground space through publication of guidelines, training, and creating platforms for exchanging information and ideas;
- Best practices in health-and-safety, planning, engineering, contracting, construction, operation, and maintenance;
- The tools to empower decision makers and allied professionals to make informed choices about the underground;
- Reliable and economical underground solutions to urbanisation and environmental challenges;
- Efficient and resilient underground infrastructure for current and future generations.
The General Assembly, which met annually, resolves all questions concerning the organisation and conducts of the affairs of the Association; it shall approve the budget of receipts and expenditure, and appoint and organise all Committees of the Association; it shall decide on the admission of new adhering national Organisation and of the new affiliate member.
The General Assembly is host by a Member Nation at the occasion of the yearly World Tunnel Congress.